Committee on the Safety of Devices
The committee advises on the safety and quality of medical devices.
Role of the committee
Following recommendations made by Professor Stephenson and his independent review group in 2013, the Committee on the Safety of Devices membership was temporarily suspended in order to allow a group of clinical advisors to be appointed to a new advisory group.
An interim Committee on the Safety of Devices has been formed and will provide advice to MHRA while the new medical devices advisory committee is formed.
- Dr Sheila Fisher Clinical Research Fellow in the Leeds Institute of Cancer and Pathology, Chair of the HRA Leeds (West) Research Ethics Committee (interim chairman)
- Dr Carl Waldmann Consultant in ICM and Anaesthesia at the Royal Berkshire Hospital in Reading, Director of ICU
- Professor Ellis Downes Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, visiting Professor Middlesex University
- Mr Geoffrey Crawford lay member
- Dr Graham Brown Chair of the Board of the Manchester Postgraduate Dental Education Centre
- Professor Ian Kimber Professor of Toxicology and Associate Dean for Business Development in the Faculty of Life Sciences at the University of Manchester
- Dr Paul Rylance Consultant in General and Renal Medicine at the Royal Wolverhampton NHS Trust
- Professor Richard McWilliams Consultant Vascular and Interventional Radiologist at the Royal Liverpool University Hospital and Honorary Professor at the University of Liverpool
- Dr Steve Bennett Britton Consultant Specialist in Paediatrics, retired
- Professor Mike Gammage Professor of Medical Education at the University of Birmingham, retired
20 March 2014 (PDF, 107KB, 7 pages)
For previous minutes, see the Committee on the Safety of Devices page on the archived MHRA website.