The Building Control Performance Standards Advisory Group (BCPSAG) is a sub committee of Building Regulations Advisory Committee (BRAC) for England and and the Building Advisory Committee (BRAC) for Wales.
What we do
We review and maintain the building control performance standards and Indicators and advise and publish an annual report on the performance of building control bodies against these standards and indicators. The standards include:
- best practice process management of building control compliance operations
- complaints handling processes
- breakdown of building control work
- building control staff
Our main function is to provide a tool that enables building control bodies to measure the quality of the service they provide to clients. Our priorities reflect reviewing and maintaining a set of building control performance standards and Indicators that enables building control bodies to do this.
Who we are
We are volunteers representing all aspects of building control including:
- users of the service (for example public and private sector building control, trading standards, fire engineer, architect, construction consultant)
- members from BRAC England and BRAC Wales for a 3 year term
Our members can volunteer for a maximum of 3 terms.
There are 14 members including 4 substitute members.
Terms of reference
Building Control Performance Standards Advisory Group: terms of reference (PDF, 161KB, 2 pages)
Members of the Building Control Performance Standards Advisory Group (BCPSAG) are nominated from the following bodies:
- The Association of Consultant Approved Inspectors (ACAI): 1 nominee
- Building Control Alliance (BCA): 1 nominee
- CICAIR Limited: 1 nominee
- LABC: 1 nominee
- BRAC for England: 1 nominee
- BRAC for Wales: 1 nominee
- 3 persons in total appointed by BRAC for England and BRAC for Wales, after consultation with the Secretary of State and Welsh ministers, to represent building users, construction sector clients, participants and/or consumers generally
Members are appointed for a term of 3 years, with a maximum of 3 terms.
The Chair of BCPSAG, who is independent of the building control bodies, is appointed from among its members for a term of 3 years.
If a nominated member is unable to attend a meeting of BCPSAG the nominating body may send a substitute.
BCPSAG may co-opt an individual as a member for a specific purpose for a term to be decided by the Group.
Current members including substitutes (PDF, 64.3KB, 1 page)
Our publication scheme specifies the information that we publish and explains how to get that information.
- building control performance standards
- annual reports
- a list of BCPSAG members: Current members including substitutes (PDF, 64.3KB, 1 page)
Published information is available for at least a year from its date of publication.
PDF versions of back copies of the building control performance standards and annual reports can be requested by email from the BCPSAG secretariat at: BCPSAG@communities.gsi.gov.uk.
BCPSAG holds meetings 3 times a year, more when there are specific pieces of work to be completed, for example when reviewing the standards. Papers, agendas and minutes from these meetings and any other correspondence between DCLG officials and BCPSAG members can be requested (unless withheld under the Freedom of Information Act) by email from the BCPSAG secretariat at: BCPSAG@communities.gsi.gov.uk.
When requesting information from the BCPSAG Secretariat please include:
- your name and address (and organisation, if applicable)
- details of the information or documents you would like to see
- the format you would like the information to be in (we will attempt to provide the information in the format you would like, but this may not be possible in all cases)
Exceptionally, we may only be able to tell you the information you would like by a personal visit. We will tell you if this is the case.
Freedom of Information/publication scheme enquiries
Information Commissioner's Office
Telephone: 01625 545700
Fax: 01625 524510
The publication scheme does not include information protected under the exemptions in Part II of the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
BCPSAG may charge for the retrieval, photocopying and postage of material. We will let you know of any charge (payable in advance) when you make your request.
C/o Building Regulations and Energy Performance Division
Department for Communities and Local Government
2 Marsham Street