Role of the group
The panel has been appointed specifically to look at the effectiveness, humaneness and safety of controlled shooting as a culling method.
The independent expert panel is responsible for:
- making sure monitoring protocols are developed which are scientifically robust and policy-relevant.
- advising on data collection and analysis
- advising on the robustness of data collected and analysis conducted after a cull
- recommending options for monitoring effectiveness and humaneness
- considering public safety issues and recommending improvements to the licence criteria, training course content, or best practice guidance.
It is not the role of the panel to provide advice or to comment on the wider policy approach to tackling bovine TB in England, or on the case for badger culling as part of a comprehensive package of measures.
Terms of reference
of the panel.
Minutes of meetings
Older minutes are available on the National Archive website
The Independent Expert Panel has overseen the development of protocols to monitor effectiveness and humaneness of controlled shooting. The summary protocols include: