The Tobacco Products Directive 2014 and its implementing legislation introduces track and trace, and security features for cigarettes and hand-rolling tobacco from 20 May 2019.
This is a technical consultation on the secondary legislation required to implement these changes in the UK.
We would like your views on draft regulations which:
- provide a prohibition from supplying tobacco products which do not carry the required tracking and security markings
- ensure products that are not compliant are liable to forfeiture
- provide sanctions for non-compliance
- facilitate the application of traceability codes and security markings to packs by amending existing tobacco standardised packaging legislation
They also enact a series of derogations, essential for defining the scope of the UK scheme.
You can read:
- the draft regulations
- a draft explanatory memorandum
- a draft transposition note
Ways to respond
Excise & Environmental Taxes Policy Design Team,
3W Ralli Quays,
3 Stanley Street,
Salford M60 9HL