Detail of outcome
We received 5 responses to this consultation from:
- Mendip District Council
- Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council
- The British Retail Consortium
- The British Soft Drinks Association
- Zenith International
The formal response rate was low, and Defra considers this is due to the extensive and prolonged consultation activity that had taken place since 2012. This activity had already informed the development of proposals which were subject to formal consultation in October 2015.
There was another consultation on this topic in 2018. The amended regulations (The National Mineral Water, Spring Water and Bottled Drinking Water (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2018 came into force on 6 April 2018.
We want to know what you think about our plans to consolidate the current rules on bottled drinking water.
This update will also:
- ease burdens on businesses by removing a national requirement which no longer has a scientific evidence base
- change the way offences are enforced, allowing Local Authorities to take a more proportionate approach
- apply new requirements for businesses to test and monitor for radioactive substances in bottled drinking water
The new regulations will come into force in early January 2016 and will apply in England only. Separate regulations will be made in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. These regulations will replace the current regulations.