Download the full outcome
Detail of outcome
This consultation has helped to develop the government’s plan for a world-class science and research infrastructure as set out in the capital roadmap (annex 2) and the science and innovation strategy. This includes:
- investments until 2021 in larger-scale strategic projects which address scientific grand challenges and underpinning funding to support world class labs
- an unallocated fund to provide agility and enable us to respond to priorities as they emerge
- a proposal to support a sector-led, national approach to equipment sharing
- clarification of independent research organisations (IROs) and research and technology organisations (RTOs) eligibility for capital funding
Detail of feedback received
We received 480 responses from a wide range of stakeholders, including:
- research councils
- Higher Education Funding Councils
- large and small businesses
- members of the public
Our ambition is to make the UK the best place in the world to do science and research. This is why the government is making a long-term commitment to invest in science and research infrastructure. We are increasing capital investment in real terms to £1.1 billion in 2015 to 2016, growing in line with inflation each year to 2020 to 2021.
This consultation seeks views on how the UK makes the most of this opportunity.
The government will publish a ‘Science capital roadmap’. It will set out our long-term plan for a world-leading science and research infrastructure in the autumn. We’re seeking evidence to help inform the development of this plan.