This consultation seeks views on proposed changes to The Highway Code to improve safety for users of motorways and high-speed roads.
The proposed changes include new and additional guidance on:
- the availability, appearance, and safe use of emergency areas
- the use of variable speed limits to manage congestion
- the use of the red ‘X’ sign to close lanes and provide a safer area for the people and vehicles involved in incidents and roadworks
- the use of hard shoulders that become extra lanes during periods of congestion
- how road users can help keep themselves safe in the event of a breakdown
- how safety cameras are employed to promote compliance with speed limits and lane closures