This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
We are analysing your feedback
Visit this page again soon to download the outcome to this public feedback.
This consultation seeks views on changing the composition of the membership of the London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority.
This consultation ran from
The Mayor of London has written to the Secretary of State requesting that he makes an order under Schedule 28 of the Greater London Authority Act 1999.
The requested amendments to the composition of the membership of the London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority are:
- the number of Assembly members be reduced from 8 to 6
- the number of London borough councillors be reduced from 7 to 5
- the number of Mayoral appointees be increased from 2 to 6
The Mayor has provided the Secretary of State with a summary of the results (PDF,1.23 MB) of his own consultation exercise together with a business case for reform.
The Mayor is seeking the change in the composition of the membership on the grounds of:
- improved democratic accountability
- greater clarity in executive-scrutiny responsibilities
- better links to budgetary responsibility
- greater policy convergence across the Greater London Authority Group
- achieving efficiencies
- access to a wider pool of appointees
The Secretary of State is content to hold a consultation in accordance with Schedule 28 of the Greater London Authority Act 1999.
In accordance with the requirements of Schedule 28, before making an order varying any of the membership numbers, the Secretary of State is required to consult:
- the Mayor
- the Assembly
- the London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority
- every London borough council
The Secretary of State considers that in this instance, the consultation should not be limited to those listed in the Act and would welcome the views of any other interested party.
Reform of fire service decision making in London: consultation on changing the composition of the membership of the London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority
Ref: ISBN 978140984242-2 PDF, 185KB, 9 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.