Recognition of professional qualifications and regulation of professions: call for evidence
Detail of outcome
Detail of feedback received
This call for evidence sought views on:
- how the UK recognises professional qualifications from other countries, to inform the UK’s future approach
- the experience of professionals moving and operating within the UK internal market, to support the UK government’s thinking in relation to the effective operation of the UK’s internal market
- how professions are regulated in the UK, both professions that are regulated by law and those that are voluntarily regulated
Responses to the call for evidence revealed a complex regulatory landscape, with a wide range of professions regulated in different ways. Respondents provided insights in relation to:
- entry requirements
- current legislation
- international cooperation between regulatory bodies
- transparency of information about entry routes into professions
We received 417 responses from:
- regulatory bodies (82)
- individuals and organisations (335)
This call for evidence seeks insights on the UK’s approach to the recognition of professional qualifications and the regulation of professions.
We want to hear from the broad range of individuals, businesses and organisations that interact with all aspects of regulated professions. We would like to hear from you in particular if you are:
- a student studying for a professional qualification at a university, in further education or on an apprenticeship
- someone who uses the services of regulated professionals
- a UK or international regulated professional
- a business which employs regulated professionals
- an education provider who supports individuals in acquiring qualifications needed to enter regulated professions
- an individual with a particular interest
Please would regulators provide their feedback using the questions in Annex C: Questionnaire for regulators.
BEIS privacy notice
See the BEIS consultation privacy notice.
Please do not send responses by post to the department as we may not be able to access them at this time.
Last updated 12 May 2021 + show all updates
Summary of responses added, and link to new policy statement on recognition of professional qualifications and regulation of professions.