Download the full outcome
Detail of outcome
We received 679 responses to this consultation. We will introduce an extended producer responsibility system for packaging in 2023. We’ll be seeking to introduce the powers to extend the producer responsibility systems via the Environment Bill. We expect to consult on the final proposals in 2020.
Read the updated policy statement on the progress of the Environment Bill.
We want to know what you think about our proposals to reform the packaging producer responsibility system. These regulations set waste recycling targets for businesses responsible for producing packaging (like food containers). In particular, we’re seeking views on:
- changing how costs are managed to be consistent with “polluter pays” principles
- how we can use incentives to encourage the use of recyclable packaging
- making recycling labels mandatory on packaging
- setting new packaging waste recycling targets for 2025 and 2030
- improving monitoring and enforcement of the regulations