Download the full outcome
Detail of outcome
44 responses were received.
The current Less Favoured Area (LFA) map determines eligibility for EU financial support. In England, the LFA measure is used to make the Uplands Transitional Payment until 2014.
Under the draft Rural Development Regulation (RDR), published as part of the CAP Reform proposals in October 2011, the European Commission is replacing LFAs with Areas Facing Natural Constraints (ANC). This requires a mapping exercise, which Defra is leading in England and co-ordinating at UK level. Devolved Administrations are carrying out mapping of their own countries.
An initial map for England has been developed against the draft new criteria. We asked for your views on the results and any suggestions you had that might be taken into account in this iterative process.
The map allows you to search using place name and postcode against a number of different criteria (see guide). You can identify whether any particular area of land (down to field parcel level) is within the published iteration of Areas facing Natural Constraints.
- Interactive map of Areas facing Natural Constraints in England
- Quick guide to using the Areas Facing Natural Constraints map of England (PDF)
The map is subject to change as technical issues are resolved and the EU negotiations on the criteria being used progresses.
- Background information (PDF)
Overview maps for England
To enable you to make comparisons against the Areas Facing Natural Constraints fine-tuned maps, overview maps of Areas Facing Natural Constraints in England are available:
- Draft non-definitive map of Areas Facing Natural Constraints (ANC) in England - Based on 60% UAA theshold at Ward level and ALC fine-tuned (PDF 2.5MB)
- Draft non-definitive map of Areas Facing Natural Constraints (ANC) in England - Based on 60% UAA threshold at parish level and ALC fine-tuned (PDF 2.7MB)
- Designation of areas facing natural constraints (ANC)
- Uplands Entry Level Stewardship
- ALC guidance (Natural England website)
- Agricultural Land Classification of England and Wales (PDF)
- Legal proposals for the CAP after 2013 (Link to EC website)