Download the full outcome
Detail of outcome
This response outlines the joint approach of the UK government, Welsh Government, Scottish Government and the Department for Infrastructure (Northern Ireland) to a ZEV mandate and CO2 emissions regulation for new cars and vans in the UK that will:
- regulate clear targets to achieve the UK’s transition to zero emission cars and vans
- accelerate the adoption of zero emission vehicles
- provide investment certainty for the deployment of supporting technology and infrastructure
Detail of feedback received
A summary of public feedback is included in the consultation outcome.
Following the technical consultation on the design of the ZEV mandate for new cars and vans in June 2022 and the green paper on a new road vehicle CO2 regulatory framework in July 2021, we are now seeking views on the final proposed regulatory framework.
We are specifically consulting on:
- the level of ZEV uptake (trajectories)
- how allowances and credits could be allocated and used
- flexibilities including banking, borrowing and transfers between schemes
- derogations and exemptions
- how to regulate the non-ZEV portion of the fleet
- how the ZEV mandate and non-ZEV CO2 regulation interact
This is a joint consultation with the Scottish Government, Welsh Government, and Department for Infrastructure Northern Ireland. We will use this evidence to finalise the design of the ZEV mandate and CO2 emissions regulation.