This collection brings together all documents relating to Age Positive.
DWP’s Age Positive initiative brings together research and information from employers on effectively managing an ageing workforce of all generations. Download and use this information freely in communications and in connection with supporting employers.
Employing older workers: an employer’s guide to today’s multi-generational workforce answers employer questions and issues concerning recruitment, performance, succession management, retention and transfer of skills, bringing on younger workers, and retirement. It offers good practice solutions tried and tested by employers of various sectors and sizes.
Employer case studies: employing older workers for an effective multi-generational workforce has over 30 real life examples, showing how employers of various sectors and sizes have made the best of the opportunities and effectively managed the issues presented by an ageing workforce. They offer practical examples and transferable experience.
The Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (Acas) provides free advice for employers on employment legislation including advice on age and the workplace.
The Age Action Alliance has produced a resources pack to help employers manage the health and on-going productivity of an ageing workforce.
Research on age and employment
The following publications provide background research on age and employment:
- Fuller Working Lives: a framework for action
- Extended Working Life Tracker (chapter 2 in ‘Employers’ awareness, understanding and activity relating to workplace pension reforms’), The Pensions Regulator 2012
- Managing a healthy ageing workforce: a national business imperative, CIPD 2012
- An update of the literature on age and employment, HSE 2011
- The macroeconomic impact from extending working lives, DWP 2011
- Second survey of employers’ policies, practices and preferences relating to age, DWP/BIS 2010
- Default retirement age: employer qualitative research, DWP 2010
- Pathways to retirement: the influence of employer policy and practice on retirement decisions, DWP 2010
- Working better – the over 50s, the new work generation, EHRC 2010
- Releasing jobs for the young? Institute for Fiscal Studies 2010
- Practical tips and guidance on training a mixed – age workforce, DWP 2006
The following publications have statistical information about age and employment:
Age Positive logo and other guidance
- 15 April 2013
- Promotional material
- 8 February 2013
- 7 February 2013