UKTI DSO promotes BMT Defence Services in Republic of Korea
- Department for International Trade Defence & Security Organisation
- Part of:
- UK Trade and Investment (UKTI) services case studies, Exports and inward investment, and South Korea
- First published:
- 19 March 2014
Support from UK Trade and Investment Defence and Security Organisation (UKTI DSO) helped BMT Defence Services to secure major opportunities in the Republic of Korea (ROK).
BMT’s business in the ROK has particularly taken off and UKTI DSO has played a crucial role in enabling and supporting this success:
- BMT was one of five key players from the UK defence industry invited to join the Submarine Club, an initiative started in 2006 by UKTI DSO to promote British submarine technology to the ROK
- a UKTI DSO introduction to the Korean Defense Acquisition Program Administration (DAPA) resulted in design consultancy work for BMT with two of the world’s largest shipyards, Hyundai Heavy Industries Co., Ltd. (HHI) and Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering (DSME)
- UKTI DSO acts as an advocate for BMT in the ROK, vouching for the company and adding to its credibility as it pursues work with new customers
- UKTI DSO has also created a range of networking opportunities for BMT, including introductions to the ROK Embassy defence staff in the UK.
The ROK is home to the world’s top three shipbuilders, so we knew there would be potential there for our business if we could make the right connections,
says Rob Steel, Head of International Naval Business at BMT Defence Services.
UKTI DSO and the Embassy staff have been exceptional. They have arranged meetings for us with the right people, provided cultural advice and general background support. There is no doubt that if it wasn’t for UKTI DSO, we would not have had access to the key players that we need to pitch in front of.
Following on from UKTI DSO’s initial introduction, BMT has developed a strong relationship with DSME. Together, the two companies won a large project for the UK MoD to buy four tankers and a £140 million contract to design and build a logistics and support vessel (LSV) for the Norwegian Defence Logistics Organisation’s (NDLO).
Projects like these have contributed to a six-fold increase in BMT’s international business in just three years. This success was celebrated in 2013 with a Queen’s Award for Enterprise in the International Trade category.
UKTI DSO has been crucial to our success,
They give us excellent market intelligence about a host of naval and submarine programmes and advise us on future options for increasing our presence in the ROK. We also keep in regular contact with UKTI DSO’s Military and Naval Advisers in the UK and join international exhibitions and delegations to further promote our export business, as and when we can.
BMT Defence Services Ltd (BMT) is an independent naval design consultancy. The company’s work involves complex engineering and design for UK and international customers around the world. Based in Bath, Fareham and Weymouth in the UK, it employs 280 specialists and support staff and has a turnover of £40 million.
|Company||BMT Defence Services|
|Target Market||Republic of Korea (South Korea)|
|UKTI Services||Introductions, Market Visit Support|
Published: 19 March 2014