Apply for this licence

Start now on the Crown Estate website


If you wish to explore or mine gold or silver commercially, you must apply for an Option for lease from The Crown Estate.

The Crown has rights to gold and silver wherever they occur in the UK. All dealings are administered by Wardell Armstrong, The Crown Estate mineral agent (CEMA).

Applicants must satisfy CEMA of their financial and technical standing and their ability to manage exploration through to completion and will be required to obtain all other necessary permissions for their activities.