To get a Global Talent visa, you need to apply to be endorsed:
- as a leader (exceptional talent)
- as an emerging leader (exceptional promise)
- under the UK Research and Innovation endorsed funder option
Your application will be reviewed by an organisation that’s related to your qualifying field, called an ‘endorsing body’.
The endorsing bodies are:
- The Royal Society, for science and medicine
- The Royal Academy of Engineering, for engineering
- The British Academy, for humanities
- Tech Nation, for digital technology
- Arts Council England, for arts and culture
- UK Research and Innovation (UKRI), for research applicants
If your qualifying field is fashion, architecture or film and television, Arts Council England will pass on your application for review to:
- British Fashion Council, for fashion
- Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA), for architecture
- Producers Alliance for Cinema and Television (PACT), for film and television
You can use a valid endorsement given under the old Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa rules to apply for a Global Talent visa. You will not need to get a new endorsement under the Global Talent visa rules.
How to get endorsed
If you’re a digital technology specialist you’ll also need to apply for a Tech Nation Visa endorsement.
How long it takes
You’ll usually get a decision within 8 weeks.
You may get a faster decision if you’re a digital technology specialist and you’ve been accepted onto a recognised UK accelerator programme.
You may also get a faster decision if you:
- hold an approved peer-reviewed fellowship
- are a senior academic or senior researcher at a UK university, college or research institute - check with your employer whether your role is eligible
- will be hosted or employed in an approved UK research organisation and will provide critical contributions to work supported by a research grant or award from an approved endorsed funder
What happens next
If you’re successful you’ll receive an email from the Home Office with a copy of your endorsement letter. You’ll need these for your visa application.
If you submitted your endorsement and visa applications at the same time, your endorsement letter will be automatically linked to your visa application. You do not need to do anything.
You will not automatically get a visa if you’ve been endorsed.
If your application is turned down you can request an endorsement review.
You must apply for your visa within 3 months of receiving your letter of endorsement from the Home Office.