Claiming and dealing with tax credits for someone else

Skip to contents of guide

Claim on behalf of your child

Your child is under 16

If your child has a baby, you can make the claim for both of them if they live with you. The money will be paid to you.

Your child is over 16

Your child can make the claim themselves if they’re over 16 and have a baby.

You can make the claim for them if both the following apply:

You must stop claiming tax credits for your child if they start claiming tax credits for themselves. Phone HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to stop claiming tax credits.