NLA Media Access Limited business licence

You may need a license from the NLA Media Access Limited to make copies of newspaper content for internal use in a business.

Apply for this licence

Start now

To make copies of newspaper and magazine content (for example, articles relating to your business, industry, or competitors) for internal use in a business, you generally need a licence from NLA Media Access Limited.

Making copies can include photocopying, faxing and scanning.

A Business Licence permits you to make copies from:

  • UK national and regional newspapers and certain magazines
  • newspaper websites and certain magazine websites
  • certain specialist and foreign titles

It also permits you to receive and distribute newspaper content and specified magazine content from a public relations (PR) agency or media monitoring agency, provided the correct licence cover is selected.

The application form can be found at Business Licence: NLA Media Access

There is a specific licence for charities, with amended fees. Please see Charity Licence: NLA Media Access.

You’ll need a different licence if you’re a PR agency or a media monitoring agency and you supply newspaper and/or magazine content to clients.

If you make copies of newspaper content for teaching purposes, you need an Educational Establishment Licence.


You do not need to apply for this licence if you are licensed directly with the applicable publisher/s represented by NLA Media Access Limited. Search or see full list of publishers represented by the NLA.


Licences are subject to certain conditions (for example, keeping records of the number of copies made and making these available for inspection by the NLA on request).


Annual fees consist of a basic licence fee calculated on the total number of staff or turnover and, where appropriate, additional fees for frequent paper and digital copying. If you have not applied for a licence before, you may also have to pay an indemnity charge to cover past copying.

Processing timeline

Applications will be processed in a timely fashion.

Fines and penalties

If you make copies of newspaper and certain magazines’ content without a licence, you are infringing copyright and could be sued for damages.