Massage and special treatment premises licensing

Contact your council if you run an establishment for massage or other special treatments and need a premises licence

Apply for this licence

For example SW1A 2AA

Find a postcode on Royal Mail's postcode finder

Contact your council for a premises licence if you run an establishment for massage or other special treatments.

Special treatments could include:

  • massage
  • manicure
  • chiropody
  • light treatments, eg sunbeds
  • electric treatments, eg electrolysis
  • other treatments involving heat, light or vapour, eg sauna or other bath treatments

In most parts of the country you’ll need a separate licence for any skin piercing treatments, eg tattooing or acupuncture. However, in Greater London (except for the City of London) special treatments registration also covers these treatments.

How to apply

Contact the council in the area your premises is based to find out whether you need a licence and how much it will cost.

Your premises might be inspected before you’re given a licence.

If you employ therapists carrying out special treatments, they should also register with the council if required.

Fines and penalties

You could be fined if you don’t have a licence, or break any conditions of your licence.