Apply for this licence
Start now on NI Direct
You need a licence to place festive lighting on, above or over a road in Northern Ireland.
How to apply
Download an application form from the NI Direct website or call Roads Service.
Roads Service 028 9025 3000
You must give the following information:
- your details
- agents’ details, if applicable
- location of the proposed works
- brief details of the proposed works
- dates for installation and removal of the lighting
If the lights will be attached to, or take electricity from, street lighting, you must:
- consult Roads Service before making your licence application
- confirm and agree with them your electricity needs
- submit a schedule of connections form with detailed lighting plans
- allow 2 weeks for consultation
Once the consultation is complete Roads Service will give you a signed copy of the schedule of connections form to submit with your licence application, along with:
- a certificate showing the street lighting column is suitable to support additional loading
- a Northern Ireland Electricity (NIE) note of approval
- detailed plans
- advance payment for street lighting works, if appropriate
- your insurance details
If you do not intend to attach the lights to, or take electricity from, street lighting, you must:
- accompany your licence application with a written declaration stating so
- provide your insurance details
You should allow 6 weeks for your application to be considered.
Your insurance must indemnify the Department for Regional Development (DRD) against any third party claims arising as a result of the installation, removal or operation of the decorations, and also any consequential damage to Roads Service property. The minimum level of indemnity is £10 million for any one incident.
The application form includes a code of practice with conditions that you need to follow.
Fines and penalties
You may be fined up to £1,000 you place festive lighting on a road in Northern Ireland without permission from DRD.
*[DRD] Department for Regional Development *[NIE] Northern Ireland Electricity