Get advice on how to stop female genital mutilation (FGM), or get help if you’re a victim.

FGM, sometimes known as ‘female circumcision’ or ‘female genital cutting’, is illegal in the UK.

It’s also illegal to take abroad a British national or permanent resident for FGM, or to help someone trying to do this.

You can get up to 14 years in prison for carrying out FGM or helping it to take place.

If there’s immediate danger

Contact the police if you or someone you know is in immediate danger of FGM.

You should also contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office if you know a British national who’s already been taken abroad.

Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Telephone: 020 7008 1500
From overseas: +44 (0)20 7008 1500
Find out about call charges

If you’re abroad you can contact the nearest British embassy, commission or consulate.

If you or someone you know is at risk

Contact the NSPCC anonymously if you’re worried that a girl or young woman is at risk or is a victim of FGM.

NSPCC FGM Helpline
Telephone: 0800 028 3550
From overseas: +44 (0)800 028 3550
Find out about call charges

National organisations

Contact any of the following national organisations for help and advice:

Local help and advice

You can contact your local council and ask for the Safeguarding Children Board.

You can also search for help and advice in your area using your postcode.

Postcode lookup

For example SW1A 2AA

Find a postcode on Royal Mail's postcode finder

Further information

You can apply to get a protection order from the court to keep you or someone you know safe from FGM.