Apply for this licence

Start now on the Farriers Registration Council (FRC) website


If you work in farriery (shoeing horses or other equine animals) in England, Scotland or Wales, you need to be registered with the Farriers Registration Council (FRC).

To be eligible to apply for registration, you must either:

  • hold an approved UK qualification, eg the Diploma of the Worshipful Company of Farriers (DipWCF)
  • hold a European farriery qualification
  • have sufficient professional farriery experience obtained in another European state

If you hold a European farriery qualification, registration is not automatic. The FRC must first assess your education and training to make sure it meets their requirements. If not, you’ll have to undertake a period of training under an Approved Training Farrier (ATF) or pass an aptitude test of diploma standard.

If you operated in a European state where farriery is not regulated, you must also provide evidence that you practised farriery on a full-time basis for 2 years in the past 10 years.

If you’re applying from another overseas country, have 2 or more years’ farriery experience but don’t hold a recognised qualification you’ll either have to:

  • take the DipWCF examination as soon as possible
  • complete a prescribed number of weeks at an approved training college, including completion of the NVQ Level 3 in Farriery and then the DipWCF examination
  • take an apprenticeship with an ATF, including completion of the NVQ Level 3 in Farriery and then the DipWCF examination

How to apply

You can apply to register on the FRC website. Make sure you choose the correct application form, depending on your entry route.

You must enclose a registration fee and all supporting documents, eg qualifications and proof of identity, with your application.

You’ll only be allowed to practise farriery once you receive written confirmation of registration.

If your application is successful, your name and contact details will be added to the register and you’ll get a certificate of registration.

You need to pay an annual fee to stay on the register.

Fines and penalties

If you’re found guilty of serious professional misconduct, convicted of an offence involving cruelty to animals or it’s discovered that you were not properly qualified when you registered, your may be taken off the register.

It’s a criminal offence to carry out farriery or call yourself a farrier or shoeing smith if you’re not registered with the FRC. If you do so, you may be fined up to £1,000.