F gas fridges and freezers

Some fridges and freezers contain fluorinated greenhouse gas (or ‘F gas’).

The type of F gas usually found in fridges and freezers is hydrofluorocarbon (HFC) gas.

You should check the instruction manual that came with your fridge or freezer to find out if it contains one of the following:

  • HFC 134a
  • HFC 245fa
  • HFC 3465mfc

Getting rid of your fridge or freezer

You must check if your fridge or freezer contains F gas before you get rid of it.

Your local council will collect your old fridge or freezer and arrange to have the F gas recovered. Contact your local council to arrange a collection.

Selling your fridge or freezer

F gas fridges and freezers won’t be made after 1 January 2015.

You can still buy or sell an F gas fridge or freezer if it was made before this date.