Students in higher education can apply for money directly from their university or college on top of any other student finance - you don’t have to pay this money back.

Bursaries, scholarships and awards

Each university or college has their own rules about bursaries, scholarships and awards. For example:

  • who qualifies
  • how much you can get
  • how to apply

Bursaries are like grants and don’t have to be paid back. You get your bursary directly from your university or college.

Talk to your student support service to find out what’s available.

On a low income - the National Scholarship Programme

You can apply for a bursary from the National Scholarship Programme if your household income is £25,000 a year or less

The bursary can be one or more of the following:

  • a cash bursary of up to £1,000
  • help with tuition fees and accommodation
  • a free foundation year (a programme that helps students meet the entry criteria for a higher education course)

If you’re awarded a cash bursary it’s paid directly into your bank account by your university or college.

Contact your university or college to find out how and when to apply.

Leaving local authority care

If you’ve been in local authority care, you can apply for:

  • a one-off bursary of £2,000 from your local authority
  • a bursary from your university or college

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.