Exchange a foreign driving licence

You can drive in Great Britain on a full, valid driving licence from an EU country.

You can drive in Great Britain until you’re 70. If you’re 68 or over when you become resident, you can drive for 3 years.

After this time you must exchange your licence.

  1. Order form D1 from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).

  2. Send the form, the £43 fee and any documents you need (including your driving licence) to the address on the form.

  3. You should get your new licence within 3 weeks.

You can only drive in Great Britain with a non-EU licence for 12 months after you arrive.

Your answers

Start again

1. Are you a resident of Great Britain?
2. What kind of licence do you have?
Car or motorcycle
3. Where did you pass your test?
European Union