Eviction notices and bailiffs

You can ask the court for a ‘warrant for possession’ if your tenants do not leave your property by the date given in an order for possession. It costs £121.

When the court issues a warrant, a bailiff is able to evict your tenants if they do not leave by this date.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) and possession orders

At the moment:

  • possession hearings are not going to court
  • possession orders will not be enforced

This is because of coronavirus.

There is more information in the coronavirus and renting guidance for tenants and landlords.

If you apply for a warrant for possession, your application will not be considered until after the suspension ends.

If you transfer the warrant to the High Court

You can get a ‘writ of possession’ if you transfer the warrant from the county court to the High Court. This means a High Court enforcement officer can evict your tenants. You might get a faster eviction this way.

Before you transfer, you’ll need to apply for permission from the county court if you do not already have it. It costs £66.

Delaying eviction

Your tenants can ask a judge to ‘suspend’ the warrant for possession at a new hearing. The judge could delay the eviction or let your tenants stay in your property if they can make payments again.

Changing payments

If your tenants’ circumstances change, they can ask a judge at a new hearing to change what they pay.

You’ll need to get legal advice.