Apply for this licence

Start now on the Police Service of Northern Ireland website (PDF, 244KB)


You need a European firearms pass from the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) to travel with listed firearms through European countries.

You must hold a firearms certificate as a Northern Ireland resident to be entitled to a European firearms pass.

How to apply

Download an application form from the PSNI website.

Return your completed application form with 1 passport-sized photograph to the PSNI Firearms and Explosives Branch.

Firearms and Explosives Branch
Police Service of Northern Ireland
42 Montgomery Road

You need a separate visitor’s firearms permit (if you’re a non-British resident) or a certificate of approval (if you’re a resident of Great Britain) to travel within Northern Ireland with listed firearms.

Fines and penalties

It’s a criminal offence if you fail to produce a European firearms pass when requested.