UK residence for EU citizens

1. Overview

If you’re from a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland, you’re usually eligible for:

You may also be eligible as the partner, child or family member of someone from the EEA or Switzerland.

Article 50 and UK residence

You don’t need to do anything as a result of Article 50 being triggered. There will be no change to the rights and status of EU nationals living in the UK while the UK remains in the EU.

Under EU law, you don’t need a document to confirm your permanent residence status in the UK.

If you’re planning to apply for a document to confirm your status, you can sign up for email alerts instead.

These email updates will let you know about developments that might affect you, including the steps that you may need to take to confirm your status after the UK leaves the EU.

Who should apply

You usually need a:

  • registration certificate if you’re an extended family member of someone from the EEA or Switzerland
  • permanent residence document to apply for British citizenship

You don’t need either document to live in the UK if you: