You don’t currently need to apply for a document to prove you can live in the UK unless:

  • you’re an extended family member of someone from the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
  • you want to apply for British citizenship
  • you want to sponsor your partner’s visa application under the Immigration Rules

A new scheme will be available for EU citizens and their families to apply to stay in the UK after it leaves the EU. 

Exiting the EU and UK residence

There will be no change to the rights and status of EU citizens living in the UK while the UK remains in the EU.

Find out how the status of EU citizens in the UK will be secured after the UK leaves the EU. 

Sign up for email updates to find out when you’ll be able to apply to stay in the UK under the new scheme and what steps you’ll need to take.