Tell DVLA you’ve changed address

You must tell DVLA when your address changes so your driving licence, vehicle log book (V5C) and vehicle tax are up to date.

This includes if you’re temporarily moving home (if you’re going to university, for example).

It doesn’t cost anything to change your address with DVLA.

You can be fined up to £1,000 if you don’t tell DVLA when your address changes.

What you need to do

  1. Update the address on your driving licence.

  2. Update the address on your vehicle’s log book (V5C) if it will be kept at your new address.

  3. If you pay by Direct Debit for vehicle tax, phone DVLA to change the billing address for that payment.

Personalised number plates

If you have a personalised number plate, update your address on your V750 or V778.

Lorry, bus or coach drivers

If you’re a lorry, bus or coach driver, apply for an updated digital tachograph driver card. Only do this if your current card has your address printed on it.