Anyone you pay to teach you to drive must be an approved driving instructor (ADI) or trainee driving instructor.

You must have a provisional driving licence for Great Britain or Northern Ireland when you’re learning to drive.

Driving instructors

ADIs and trainee driving instructors are regulated by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA). You can find your nearest registered ADIs online.

An ADI displays a green badge on the windscreen, and a trainee driving instructor displays a pink badge.

It’s illegal for someone to charge for driving lessons if they’re not an ADI - you can report them to the DVSA.

Driving with friends and relatives

You can be fined up to £1,000 and get 3 to 6 penalty points on your provisional licence if you drive without the right supervision.

Anyone you practise your driving with (without paying them) must:

  • be over 21
  • be qualified to drive the type of vehicle you want to learn in, eg they must have a manual car licence if they’re supervising you in a manual car
  • have had their driving licence for 3 years (from countries in the European Commission or European Economic Area)

It’s illegal for the person to use a mobile phone while they are supervising you.

‘L’ and ‘D’ plates

If you’re a learner driver you must put ‘L’ plates on prominent places on the front and back of your vehicle. You can use either ‘L’ or ‘D’ plates in Wales.

Record your progress

You can download a form to record your progress with learning to drive.