Water Security and Mobile Technologies. Water Security, Risk & Society Brief No. 4
The key messages in this brief are:
- Global convergence in mobile network coverage, mobile handset ownership, mobile commerce and smart water technologies provide an informational platform to underpin water security.
- A low-cost, scalable and accessible mobile information architecture has led to new and emerging technologies to address challenges in water resource management and water services delivery.
- Accurate, timely and reliable data can drive accountability and transparency in the global water sector to improve operational and financial performance.
- With two thirds of the 5.3 billion mobile subscriptions in developing regions, initiatives can reach the most in need and most difficult to reach.
- While it is premature to determine the scale and sustainability of impacts of mobile innovations for water security, the architecture for transformative change is compelling.
Hope, R. Water Security and Mobile Technologies. Water Security, Risk & Society Brief No. 4. University of Oxford, Oxford, UK (2012) 4 pp.