The key messages in this brief are:
- Global convergence in mobile network coverage, mobile handset
ownership, mobile commerce and smart water technologies provide an
informational platform to underpin water security.
- A low-cost, scalable and accessible mobile information architecture
has led to new and emerging technologies to address challenges in
water resource management and water services delivery.
- Accurate, timely and reliable data can drive accountability and
transparency in the global water sector to improve operational and
- With two thirds of the 5.3 billion mobile subscriptions in developing
regions, initiatives can reach the most in need and most difficult to
- While it is premature to determine the scale and sustainability of
impacts of mobile innovations for water security, the architecture for
transformative change is compelling.
Hope, R. Water Security and Mobile Technologies. Water Security, Risk & Society Brief No. 4. University of Oxford, Oxford, UK (2012) 4 pp.
Water Security and Mobile Technologies. Water Security, Risk & Society Brief No. 4