Urbanisation and Economic Development: Private Sector Linkages. Topic Guide
An overview of the main debates on urbanisation and economic development and private sector linkages
This guide gives an overview of debates and critical issues with a view to answering 2 main questions:
- What is the role of the private sector in promoting inclusive and sustainable economic development against the backdrop of rapid urbanisation?
- What does that mean in practice for policy-makers?
The guide identifies 5 findings about the relationship between urbanisation and economic development that provide critical context for understanding the role of the private sector:
- Countries urbanise as they develop.
- Urbanisation is strongly correlated with but does not cause economic growth.
- Urban concentration has growth enhancing benefits.
- The correlation between the rate (and not the level) of urbanisation and GDP level is hard to determine.
- Regional trends impact the relation between urbanisation and economic development.
Khan, A.; Williams, C.; Darko, E.; Granoff, I. Urbanisation and Economic Development: Private Sector Linkages. Topic Guide. EPS PEAKS, UK (2016) 48 pp.