This guide gives an overview of debates and critical issues with a view to answering 2 main questions:
- What is the role of the private sector in promoting inclusive and sustainable economic development against the backdrop of rapid urbanisation?
- What does that mean in practice for policy-makers?
The guide identifies 5 findings about the relationship between urbanisation and economic development that provide critical context for understanding the role of the private sector:
- Countries urbanise as they develop.
- Urbanisation is strongly correlated with but does not cause economic growth.
- Urban concentration has growth enhancing benefits.
- The correlation between the rate (and not the level) of urbanisation and GDP level is hard to determine.
- Regional trends impact the relation between urbanisation and economic development.
Khan, A.; Williams, C.; Darko, E.; Granoff, I. Urbanisation and Economic Development: Private Sector Linkages. Topic Guide. EPS PEAKS, UK (2016) 48 pp.
Urbanisation and Economic Development: Private Sector Linkages. Topic Guide