The purpose of this booklet is to support advisers in DFID to strengthen
their knowledge of urban development themes by providing signposts to
quality assured references, grey literature and other useful learning
materials. This structured learning guide will enable DFID advisers from
any cadre to improve their understanding of key policy and programming
issues, but is particularly aimed at infrastructure, climate change and
environment, and livelihoods advisers. The guide covers the thematic
areas listed below:
- Urban Poverty – including resilience.
- Urban Services – including water and sanitation, health and education
- Urbanisation and Growth – including evidence on pro-poor growth and
issues of inequality.
- Urban Planning – including participatory approaches to slum
improvement such as slum dweller federations, small towns, mega-cities
and secondary towns.
- Urban Governance – including citizen inclusion, urban management and
- Urban Livelihoods – formal and informal, including social protection
mechanisms, opportunities for the urban poor, rural-urban links,
migration and urban food security.
- Cities and Climate Change
- Cities and Disaster Planning – including flood protection.
- Housing and Land
- Women and Urbanisation – including economic opportunities for women.
The first section lists general resources that provide a good overview
on urban issues or cover multiple themes. Then, for each theme, a list
of resources and information on the type of resource (e.g. book,
academic paper, grey literature, blog, online lecture, website) are
provided as well as a short description of content and, where possible,
a direct link to access the resource.
This report has been produced for Evidence on Demand with the assistance
of the UK Department for International Development (DFID) contracted
through the Climate, Environment, Infrastructure and Livelihoods
Professional Evidence and Applied Knowledge Services (CEIL PEAKS)
programme, jointly managed by DAI (which incorporates HTSPE Limited) and
IMC Worldwide Limited.
Sturgess, P.; Acker, W.; Satterthwaite, D.; Wright, Y.; Carstensen, J.; Ryan-Collins, L.; Ratcliffe, S.; Young, S. Urban development: Structured learning guide. Evidence on Demand, UK (2014) 50 pp. [DOI: 10.12774/eod_spd.august2014.sturgesspackerw]