Understanding Childhood Poverty in Rajasthan: Emerging Issues and Strategies, CPRC-IIPA Working Paper No. 8
The present paper attempts to analyse the key factors that contribute to childhood poverty in the context of the ongoing primary research in two regions of Rajasthan. The key research questions being addressed by the study are:
- What are the factors that shape childhood poverty in Rajasthan?
- Is there any evidence of Intergenerational Transfer of Poverty?
- What factors help break poverty cycles?
- What are the specific policies and strategies in place to address child poverty?
- What are the intended and unintended outcomes of these policies?
The paper presents some of the findings that have emerged from preliminary fieldwork using focus group discussions, timelines and genealogies. Section 2 gives a profile of children to highlight the state of children's vulnerability in Rajasthan. Section 3 presents the main issues emerging from the field pertinent for understanding childhood poverty in the State. Sections 4 and 5 highlight some areas for future research and policy interventions.
Understanding Childhood Povertyin Rajasthan: Emerging Issues and Strategies, CPRC-IIPA Working Paper No. 8