This report details progress made during the four month inception period
of the project.
It is structured as follows:
1. Introduction – this section sets out the background to the research,
the overarching research objectives and key research questions, an
overview of the research team and a summary of the activities and
deliverables completed during the Inception Phase.
2. Delivering the Research Objectives – this section provides narrative
and explanation of the underlying Theory of Change and the revised
3. Theoretical Background – this section outlines the conceptual
background to the research. It gives an overview of the scope of the
research, the process for conducting the literature review and outlines
the analytical framework, including a discussion of typologies and the
development of a preliminary conceptual framework of change for CB in
4. Research Design – this section describes the research design and data
collection plans, covering the overall approach, the research framework,
methods and procedures of data collection, both within the main case
study research and in the complementary international-level analysis.
5. Monitoring and Evaluation Draft Framework – this section provides
contextual background to M&E for DRM and presents the draft
framework with illustrative indicators.
6. Implementing the Research – this section provides the detailed
workplan and budget for the Implementation Phase, along with information
on the proposed case study countries and the approach to security.
7. Research Uptake Strategy – this section focuses on the research will
be communicated and presents a coherent strategy for ensuring research
8. Project Management and Governance – this section outlines the
governance arrangements and reporting protocols for the project, sets
out the ethics strategy, updates on team changes and presents a revised
risk matrix for the project.
Few, R.; Scott, Z.; Tarazona, M. Strategic Research into National and Local Capacity Building for Disaster Risk Management. Inception Report. Oxford Policy Management Limited, Oxford, UK (2014) 89 pp.
Strategic Research into National and Local Capacity Building for Disaster Risk Management. Inception Report