The principles of integrated water resources management (IWRM) emphasise stakeholder participation. The question for water resources managers is how best to involve stakeholders in the planning process and in day to day management for implementation.
This document covers the following:
- stakeholder participation; overview describing what a stakeholder is, the purpose of a stakeholder analysis, and nature and benefits of participation
- stakeholder analysis: description of the recommended methods and some examples of stakeholder analyse
- use of stakeholder analysis: how to use the analysis to design communication and participation programmes
- co-ordination and participation: Description of arrangements for coordination and participation, with specific coverage of the constraints to participation and how to resolve these
- campaigns for dissemination of information: a brief summary of potential methods, with an example from WRDMAP
This Thematic Paper should be read in conjunction with Example 2.2 - Initial Stakeholder Analysis for Shiyang River Basin IWRM Plan.
WRDMAP. Stakeholder Participation in IWRM Planning [Thematic Paper 2.2]. WRDMAP, China (2010) 36 pp