Under the KaR 7782 Project Phase 1, investigations were carried out and guidelines developed on alternative low cost rural road surfaces, which in appropriate circumstances will have lower whole-life-costs than gravel. The alternative surfaces can also have better local resource use attributes; with the effect of injecting more of the road works costs into the local community through labour employment, use of local materials and enterprises.
The objectives of this (Working Paper 20) report, which serves as the Inception Report to Phase 2 of the low cost rural road surfacing project, are as follows:
- Supply updated data on the condition of the trial sections.
- Provide current trial road information on relevant issues such as traffic, construction materials and construction costs.
- Provide comment on the condition of the trial road and related issues.
- Supply engineering options for the repair and rehabilitation of the trial sections.
- Recommend the most cost-effective options together with a costed programme of construction and supervision.
- Report on initial axle loading investigations, June 2004.
Intech Associates; TRL. SEACAP 8. Low-cost rural road surfacing phase 2. Inception Document. (2004) 40 pp.
SEACAP 8. Low-cost rural road surfacing phase 2. Inception Document.