This report (structured around six sections) develops a set of proposals
for the monitoring of the component projects of RALF (Research in
Alternative Livelihoods Fund). These proposals are designed to improve
the learning that can be gained from the implementation of the
individual projects both with respect to their own specific purpose and
goal as well as the broader RALF outputs and purpose. At the time of the
report most of the RALF projects had monitoring frameworks focused more
on accountability concerns rather than learning and were weak in
addressing the linkages between outputs and more complex outcomes
relevant to the programme purpose.
An annex is also included with the report which contains an analysis of
the RALF Round 01 Projects:
- Village Decision Driven Research Project.
- Introduction, Evaluation and Promotion of Appropriate Crop Legumes and
Vegetables for Eastern Afghanistan (CLVEA).
- Restorative Agriculture and Rural Economy Research Project.
- Innovative financial mechanisms for improving the livelihoods of rural
Afghans currently economically dependent on opium poppy.
- Marketing of livestock and livestock products: Market demand,
potential returns to producers and constraints to market access.
- Improved rural incomes from better forage production and sales of milk
- Western Afghanistan Agroenterprise Action Research Program.
RALF, ICARDA, Aleppo, Syria, 23 pp.