This manual is intended to support the implementation of molecular line probe assays for rapid detection of tuberculosis and MDR tuberculosis. The document uses experiences gained during the field implementation and application of these tests in high burden settings.
The Manual focuses on:
- the theoretical backgrounds of molecular drug resistance, which is indispensable for appropriate interpretation of results;
- the practical aspects of setting up a molecular laboratory infrastructure and related biosafety;
- principles of the procedure;
- a detailed technical description how to perform the tests;
- storage and stock management of reagents and consumables;
- the relevance of contamination control with practical examples;
- potential quality assurance measures to be implemented with the routine testing;
- appropriate interpretation of successful and unsuccessful amplifications with numerous real-life examples;
- and troubleshooting.
Barnard, M.; Parsons, L.; Miotto, P.; Cirillo, D.; Feldmann, K.; Gutierrez, C.; Somoskovi, A. Molecular Detection of Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis by Line Probe Assay. Laboratory Manual for Resource-Limited Settings. FIND, Geneva, Switzerland (2012) 274 pp.