insights 79. Promoting peace and democracy through security sector reform.
This governance issue looks at the approaches to and outcomes of Security Sector Reform in different regions
Since the late 1990s, security sector reform (SSR) has emerged as a principal activity for promoting peace and stability. This governance issue of insights looks at the approaches to and outcomes of SSR in different regions.
The titles of the articles are
- Understanding international influences on security reform in Africa
- Making progress in Francophone Africa
- Mixed outcomes in southern Africa
- SSR is central to political reform in Arab countries
- Partial reforms and new challenges in Latin America
- Agenda reforms needed in South Asia
- Democratisation and reform in South-East Asia
insights 79, IDS, University of Sussex, Brighton, UK, 8 pp.