insights 78. Getting research into policy and practice.
Researchers and communications experts are using innovative approaches to communicate their research but they do not often share their experiences and achievements. This health issue of insights sets out to redress this, focusing on experiences of working on sexual and reproductive health, HIV and AIDS globally. It includes contributions from 4 DFID-funded RPCs: Addressing the Balance of Burden in AIDS (ABBA); Evidence for Action; Programme for Research and Capacity Building in Sexual and Reproductive Health and HIV in Developing Countries; and Realising Rights.
The articles are all based on case studies presented during a meeting at the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, in the UK, in May 2009. The titles of the articles are as follows:
- Investing in the future. Communicating HIV trial results in South Africa
- Influencing legislative change for sexual violence survivors in Ghana
- Building ownership of research in Ghana
- Knowledge intermediaries. Communicating sexual and reproductive health research.
- Scaling up male circumcision for HIV prevention in Tanzania
- Bringing sexuality and rights into the open in Bangladesh
- Acting on the evidence
- Making headlines. Working with the media to communicate research
insights 78, IDS, University of Sussex, Brighton, UK, 8 pp.