- As a dual protection method, is demand for and uptake of FC correlated
to HIV prevalence?
- A number of studies are available on the acceptability of various FC
a review of the literature in high prevalence HIV contexts and
concentrated epidemics, what do we know about usage of FC among
different age groups, marital status, vulnerability?
- What do we know about frequency, repeat or sustained use? (a critical
success factor for scaling up)
- How do men's perspectives and choices influence use?
- Do women who use FC do so in combination/mix with other methods?
(Evidence seems to suggest FCs most successful in contexts where MC
This report provides information on: who uses the female condom (FC); whether FC use is correlated with HIV prevalence; frequency, repeat or sustained use of FCs; the influence of men on FC use; whether the FC is used in combination with other methods of contraception. Recommendations listed are:
- Education and demonstration of correct use
- Negotiation skills training
- Men should be educated
- Target high-risk populations
- In countries with high HIV prevalence, target couples of all
- Secure funding to subsidise female condoms so that they can be made
available to high-risk populations.
Holley, C.; Baxter, S. Helpdesk Report: Female Condoms. Human Development Resource Centre, UK (2011) 24 pp.
Helpdesk Report: Female Condoms