This document presents a summary of family planning. It reviews existing literature, examining carefully what the current knowledge is, where the important issues or problems lie and “what works”. It is divided into ten sections, namely:
(2) Population growth, economic growth and fertility rates
(3) Contraceptive methods and prevalence
(4) Barriers to contraceptive adoption and sustained use
(5) Health benefits of contraception
(6) Demand for family planning
(7) Family planning programmes
(8) Service delivery options
(9) Abortive technology
(10) Value for money
This guide was produced as a result of a reading week held for the UK Department for International Development (DFID) advisers in mid-2012. The topics and readings were chosen by experts in the field but are not a comprehensive review of all family planning literature. This topic guide is an update and based on the key readings selected for this week plus updated materials. The main audience for this guide is policymakers, advisers, managers and practitioners.
Cleland, J.; Foster, G.; Holley, C.; Thompson, S.; Millington, K.; Kanguru, L. HEART Topic Guide - Family Planning. (2014) 62 pp.