This presentation is one of a series of five presenting key outputs from FMSP floodplain projects, carried out in the Asian region between 1992 and 2005. This document begins by explaining what a harvest reserve is and the possible benefits of setting one up. Following this five key messages on selecting and managing harvest reserves for floodplain river fisheries are introduced and discussed. The key messages are:
1. Adopt a collaborative approach both in selecting and managing reserves
2. Manage ''whitefish'' at a catchment level and ''blackfish\" at a local at a local level
3. Select locations carefully, considering who will benefit and how
4. Develop reserve management rules that are appropriate to local conditions and that will deliver the best overall benefits to stakeholders
5. Manage adaptively - monitor the results, compare with other places, and adapt rules as needed.
Hoggarth, D.D. Harvest Reserves in floodplain river fisheries - Protecting fish to increase catches. Key messages for selection and management. Scales Inc, Barbados. 34 pp.