Guidance on national flood risk assessments.
The objective of this document is to provide guidance on how to carry out national flood risk assessments for water management organisations in southern Africa. The document has been structured as follows:
• Chapter 1 provides background on national flood risk assessments, the frequency of flooding, and definitions of flood hazard and flood risk;
• Chapter 2 outlines methods that can be used for identifying flood hazards and producing flood hazard maps;
• Chapter 3 summarises techniques for the establishment of national flood risk maps;
• Chapter 4 describes methods for disseminating flood maps;
• Chapter 5 provides a list of useful references.
This document is intended to give an overview of the methods available and has been kept deliberately brief. More details on the production of national flood risk maps are provided in the cited references.
Lumbroso, D. Guidance on national flood risk assessments. HR Wallingford, Wallingford, UK (2005) 22 pp.