Focus on Forests has been written for students studying UK Key Stage 3 of the National Curriculum (11 to 14 year olds) but contains information that would be useful to anyone with an interest in forest issues.
The website is divided into chapters.
- Chapter 1 is an introduction to Forests, and explains why they are important, and some of the threats faced by Forests in the World today.
- Chapter 2 is about a sustainable project in Belize.
- Chapter 3 is about good and bad news for forests.
- Chapter 4 is a case study of a Forest that was saved in Nigeria.
- Chapter 5 details some more of the issues facing forests
- Chapter 6 gives some more examples (from Costa Rica, India, Malawi, the Soloman Islands, West Kalimantan and the UK).
- Chapter 7 is about the future, and what you can do to help forests
The website also has a text version of the contents, a maps section and a section for teachers, which requires registration (free) and access by password. The teachers section has an online handbook.
Focus on Forests is also available in book form from:
Focus on Forests Book Orders
World Land Trust
Blyth House, Bridge Street
Suffolk IP19 8AB
Each pack contains 1 Teachers' manual and 12 Students' booklets as well as a copy of the most recent World Land Trust newsletter.