Each Evidence Update is a 2-page summary of a Cochrane Review of healthcare interventions relevant to people in low-income and middle-income countries. This Evidence Update is based on the following systematic review: Lutge EE, Wiysonge CS, Knight SE, Volmink J. Material incentives and enablers in the management of tuberculosis. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2012, Issue 1. Art. No.: CD007952. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD007952.pub2.
What does the research say about:
- The effects of offering patients incentives to return for test results:
- People offered an incentive may be more likely to return for their test result.
- The effects of offering patients incentives to complete TB prophylaxis or treatment:
- People offered an incentive may be more likely to complete TB prophylaxis.
- We don’t know if offering an incentive increases the number of people who complete TB treatment.
Anon. Does offering incentives to patients improve attendance at clinic for test results, or increase the number of people who complete TB treatment? Evidence Update, Tuberculosis Series, February 2012. Effective Health Care Research Programme Consortium, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool, UK (2012) 2 pp.