- Department for International Development
- Document Type:
- Literature Review
- Water and Sanitation
- Cavill, S., Cairncross, S., Brown, J., Rheingans, R., Mulligan, J. O'Connor, H., Schmidt, W.P., Ensink, J., Baker, S., Harvey, M., Cumming, O., Jeandron, A., Ryan-Collins, L., Amery, J., Bibby, S., Howard, G., Swann, P., Wijesekera, S., and Woolnough, D.
This WASH evidence paper was commissioned by the DFID Water and Sanitation (WASH) and Research and Evidence Division (RED) teams and undertaken by the DFID-funded Sanitation and Hygiene Applied Research for Equity (SHARE) research programme consortium. It is not a policy document, and does not represent DFID's policy position. The paper aims to:
- Provide an accessible guide to existing evidence including a conceptual framework for understanding how WASH impacts on health and well-being and a description of methods used for ascertaining the health, economic and social impacts of WASH
- Present the available evidence on the benefits and cost-effectiveness of interventions on WASH
- Identify what we do know and also what we do not know, and assess the robustness of the available evidence relating to the impact of WASH interventions.
- Disaggregate the benefits, where possible, by gender and poverty and the distribution of the global impacts across regions and economic status of countries.
Cairncross, S.; Cumming, O.; Jeandron, A.; Rheingans, R.; Ensink, J.; Brown, J.; Cavill, S.; Baker, S.; Schmidt, W.P.; Amery, J.; Bibby, S.; Harvey, M.; Howard, G.; Mulligan, J.; O’Connor, H.; Ryan-Collins, L.; Swann, P.; Wijesekera, S.; Woolnough, D. DFID Evidence Paper: Water, sanitation and hygiene. (2013) 128 pp.
Document Type: Literature Review
Theme: Water and Sanitation
Authors: Cavill, S. Cairncross, S. Brown, J. Rheingans, R. Mulligan, J. O'Connor, H. Schmidt, W.P. Ensink, J. Baker, S. Harvey, M. Cumming, O. Jeandron, A. Ryan-Collins, L. Amery, J. Bibby, S. Howard, G. Swann, P. Wijesekera, S. Woolnough, D.