Cytoplasmic diversification for hybrid rice improvement: phase 3. Final Technical Report.

Abstract

The purpose of the project was to identify novel somatic hybrid rice plants for use in breeding programmes in India. In previous DFID funded work at the University of Nottingham, a population of somatic hybrid plants has been produced between cultivated rice (Oryza sativa) and the wild relative (O. granulata). In the current project the cytoplasmic composition of these plants has been characterised and it has been shown that 60% contained chloroplasts derived from O. granulata while the remaining 40% contained chloroplasts derived from O. sativa. Plants with novel nuclear-cytoplasmic genomes are required for the development of new sources of male sterility for improvements of hybrid rice programmes. This germplasm will be of great importance to Indian rice breeders.

Citation

Cytoplasmic diversification for hybrid rice improvement: phase 3. Final Technical Report.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.